October is almost upon us, but we’ve kept ourselves pretty busy this September at Mercy Corps Northwest.
The biggest event was our move into our new building on September 14th. We’re now sharing a space with the rest of Mercy Corps in the old Skidmore Fountain building at 43 SW Naito in downtown Portland. One of the most exciting things about the move is our new and improved classroom space.
We kicked off the move with a seminar on using social media for marketing, presented by Peter Korchnak of Semiosis Communications. We got a little blurb in the Oregonian’s business calendar, and had a full class with 19 participants. Despite it being the very first day in the classroom and few technical issues, it was a productive class. Peter went over some of the different social media forms – Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, etc, and talked about how to be effective on those sites as a busy small business owner. The class did make us realize that the topic of social media is a huge one, and people are coming at from all different levels and for different purposes, and so for the future, we’re going to try to break it down a little more and be more specific about what the seminar will be covering.
Our second seminar of the month was with Susan Rich of RichWriting Inc, who did a concise hour-long workshop on how to write effectively on the Internet called Write it Rich!. We had 15 people attend this class, and I saw a lot of participants writing down notes on the handout she gave, and we got some good feedback afterward:
“I have been to many seminars, and Susan was very, very, very good!” – a participant.
All in all we’ve started off our educational programs in the new building with some great seminars, and we’re looking forward to more soon in October as well.
- New seminars in 2015, incl. @bolywelch presenting Hiring Your First Employee! goo.gl/vEcmmU 2 days ago
- RT @PortlandiaTV: Hit RETWEET to enter to WIN a @YellowScopeGirl #Chemistry set kickstarter.com/projects/yello… #Kickstarter #Science #Girls http:/… 6 days ago
- Be sure to visit facebook.com/mercycorpsnw to view photos from our first annual Holiday Showcase. Huge thank you to all who participated! 1 week ago
- TODAY support #pdx entrepreneurs at our 1st annual Holiday Showcase! Wide range of local, handcrafted products. 11am-2pm at 45 SW Ankeny St 1 week ago
- Creative agency @RoundhousePDX announces a new #smallbiz pro bono program #branding #marketing collab.roundhouseagency.com 1 week ago
- June 2011 (1)
- May 2011 (4)
- April 2011 (7)
- March 2011 (3)
- February 2011 (10)
- January 2011 (4)
- December 2010 (6)
- November 2010 (7)
- October 2010 (6)
- September 2010 (3)
- August 2010 (3)
- July 2010 (3)
- June 2010 (5)
- May 2010 (1)
- April 2010 (8)
- March 2010 (11)
- February 2010 (2)
- January 2010 (3)
- December 2009 (4)
- November 2009 (3)
- October 2009 (6)
- September 2009 (1)