October is almost upon us, but we’ve kept ourselves pretty busy this September at Mercy Corps Northwest.
The biggest event was our move into our new building on September 14th. We’re now sharing a space with the rest of Mercy Corps in the old Skidmore Fountain building at 43 SW Naito in downtown Portland. One of the most exciting things about the move is our new and improved classroom space.
We kicked off the move with a seminar on using social media for marketing, presented by Peter Korchnak of Semiosis Communications. We got a little blurb in the Oregonian’s business calendar, and had a full class with 19 participants. Despite it being the very first day in the classroom and few technical issues, it was a productive class. Peter went over some of the different social media forms – Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, etc, and talked about how to be effective on those sites as a busy small business owner. The class did make us realize that the topic of social media is a huge one, and people are coming at from all different levels and for different purposes, and so for the future, we’re going to try to break it down a little more and be more specific about what the seminar will be covering.
Our second seminar of the month was with Susan Rich of RichWriting Inc, who did a concise hour-long workshop on how to write effectively on the Internet called Write it Rich!. We had 15 people attend this class, and I saw a lot of participants writing down notes on the handout she gave, and we got some good feedback afterward:
“I have been to many seminars, and Susan was very, very, very good!” – a participant.
All in all we’ve started off our educational programs in the new building with some great seminars, and we’re looking forward to more soon in October as well.
- Obamacare Clarified and Foundations II Open p0.vresp.com/aRFe79 #vr4smallbiz 19 hours ago
- Tomorrow: ACA seminar, titled "Obamacare Clarified." We would love to see your smiling face in our audience. ow.ly/m3b88 20 hours ago
- Join us on 6.19 for our "Obamacare Clarified" seminar and find out how the ACA is going to impact your business and health insurance.... 1 day ago
- With the Health Exchanges opening up and the Affordable Care Act going into effect this fall, you'll want to attend our "Obamacare... 3 days ago
- Need help w/ your credit to strengthen your business? We offer credit coaching! It just makes dollars and sense... ow.ly/lOUc3 5 days ago
- June 2011 (1)
- May 2011 (4)
- April 2011 (7)
- March 2011 (3)
- February 2011 (10)
- January 2011 (4)
- December 2010 (6)
- November 2010 (7)
- October 2010 (6)
- September 2010 (3)
- August 2010 (3)
- July 2010 (3)
- June 2010 (5)
- May 2010 (1)
- April 2010 (8)
- March 2010 (11)
- February 2010 (2)
- January 2010 (3)
- December 2009 (4)
- November 2009 (3)
- October 2009 (6)
- September 2009 (1)
- SHINE: The Entrepreneurs Journey, A short film by Dan McComb & Ben Medina
- "The Top 10 Reasons Restaurants Fail" by Andy Simmons for Biznik
- Holiday Hair Studio, Portland, Oregon's First and Only Hair Styling Cart, Opens Its Doors Valentine's Day
- Mercy Corps NW selected to participate in Scale Academy for Microenterprise Development